[x3d-public] Purpose of X3D

David Murphy d.murphy at cs.ucc.ie
Fri Oct 7 07:07:26 PDT 2016

hi Leonard,

with the resurgence of interest in VR (mainly since the introduction of the Oculus Rift), I too have wondered about the place of X3D in this quickly evolving space.

For VR developers the choices seem to be, to either use games engines, with sophisticated graphics capabilities, etc. (e.g. UE4 and Unity), or scene graph languages (X3D, Java3D, O3D, OSG, etc.).

WebGL gives us access to the host GPU, which is a fabulous addition to our technology stack. However, it is not a ‘friendly' development language (not easily scalable, reusable, and not as accessible to non-programmers). Hence, declarative libraries such as three.js, babylon.js, etc. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WebGL_frameworks ) have emerged to address those shortcomings.

Then we have Mozilla's A Frame, which is a web-first entity-component-system framework for three.js. Designed to work with WebVR, which integrates VR hardware and systems.

So, I hope to see X3D evolve to work with WebGL (let’s dispense with the need for these scene graph libraries) and WebVR (access to hardware and systems).

I have never viewed X3D as a file format, for me it has always been a scene description language with additional features.

X3D is a standard and must interoperate with other standards, e.g. glTF, COLLADA, mpeg.
The capabilities of X3D (extensibility + features) and the declarative nature of the language are what makes X3D attractive to develop in (and teach in my case).
The guarrentee of a standardised version, and interoperability with other standards are what makes X3D viable.

my 2 cents …
cheers
rgds Dave

__________________________