[x3d-public] inline access from dom -- Inline Trees, Reuse, and Access

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Oct 11 18:03:09 PDT 2016

Andreas,

I am looking forward to web components. I'm sure there is a lot out
there on that, I just don't have the bandwidth to pursue it right now. I
hope to get there by the end of the month.

>     The details of how to access the internals may change depending on how
>     the data is loaded (potentially the data format) and the kind of
>     protection that might be needed. For example a model may represent a
>     part that should not be modified (because of licensing, etc.). The X3D
>     library may need to enforce (to an extent) that restriction by not
>     exposing that model to the DOM and user modification. Note that I
>     am not
>     arguing for absolute protection or DRM mechanisms.
>

> Yes, I thought the main motivation for EXPORT may be to control what
> is exposed. But then again, the inline node has to be able to be
> downloaded and therefore will be subject to any manipulation locally,
> including outside of X3D, so this control would be mostly symbolic, as
> far as I can see. Is it more useful than limiting to have such a barrier ?

Given that it cannot be truly protected, I am thinking more as a
convention so that external methods don't accidentally try to access
those nodes/structures. Sort-of like many interpreted languages using a
leading underscore in method names to indicate that they should be
treated as "private".

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant