[x3d-public] add/deleteRoute in inlines

Holger Seelig holger.seelig at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 14 23:09:58 PDT 2016

In Cobweb there exists a function getInternalScene on every Inline node,
to access the internal X3DScene that is loaded from the url given. If
the load field was false an empty scene is returned. This empty scene is
the same for all Inline nodes (due to performance reasons).

For instance, the function getInternalScene can be used to to access the
scene and then determine via getExportedNode the exported nodes of the
Inline node.

The same function getInternalScene is available on externproto
declarations to access the internal scene that is loaded.

I used the name getInternalScene as getScene is to common. By the way I
could imagine a getScene function on every X3DNode to get the scene the
node belongs to.

All the best,
Holger

Am 14.10.2016 um 22:58 schrieb Andreas Plesch:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on deleting and adding Routes via deleting and adding Route
> DOM elements, with cobweb:
>
> https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/tests/fanOutRoute.xhtml
>
> It seems to work fine for Routes in the main scene/execution context.
>
> Now, there may be an expectation to also be able to add/delete routes
> within inlines and their execution contexts, from outside the inline
> since DOM javascript code is by definition external.
>
> For example, a common scenario may be to have a scene with a single
> Inline dom node as a way to include the x3d content while still keeping
> the html concise. A web page author then may still want to manipulate
> all aspects of the x3d.
>
> There is probably a way in cobweb to get the correct execution context
> of the Route node that user code wants to remove, or add, by looking for
> the closest ancestor scene element (since inline scenes are appended to
> their inline element). Using this execution context it would then be
> possible to use the SAI addRoute and deleteRoute functions.
>
> However, the standard SAI does not seem to have a function to get the
> execution context of an Inline scene, even for external SAI use ? Is
> this the case ?
>
> If this is the case, is the main reason that the expectation is that any
> access to a scene contained in an Inline would have take to place from
> scripts (I believe these would be the containing node of
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/Part02/concepts.html#ContainingNode)
> within the inline ?
>
> Just trying to understand all what is involved. Any hints or comments
> welcome,
>
> Andreas
>

> --
> Andreas Plesch
> 39 Barbara Rd.
> Waltham, MA 02453

Holger Seelig
Mediengestalter Digital – Digital Media Designer

Scheffelstraße 31a
04277 Leipzig
Germany

Cellular: +49 1577 147 26 11