[x3d-public] add/deleteRoute in inlines

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 05:36:47 PDT 2016

On Oct 15, 2016 7:45 AM, "Joe D Williams" <joedwil at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> However, the standard SAI does not seem to have a function to get the
>> execution context of an Inline scene, even for external SAI use ? Is this
>> the case ?
>

> SAIExecutionContext.SAINode.SAIField.SAIFieldValue;
>
> This is the form I have seen where when you have a parent context then
you can get into child context by the DEF name.

This may be a little too concise for me to get.

Here is the situation:

Main.x3d:

<Inline DEF='animatedHat' url="'hat.x3d'" />

hat.x3d:

<ROUTE fromNode='ts' ... />

Pseudo code using SAI external to Main.x3d:

mainScene = getBrowser().currentScene

//mainScene.addRoute(someRoute) is available

inlineNode = mainScene.getNamedNode('animatedHat')

inlineScene = inlineNode.getInternalScene() // is something like this in
the SAI ??

tempRoute = inlineScene.addRoute(fromNode...)

inlineScene.removeRoute(tempRoute)

Is something like getInternalScene() in the SAI standard ? I think maybe
not.

andreasplesch at gmail.com>
> Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 1:58 PM
> Subject: [x3d-public] add/deleteRoute in inlines
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on deleting and adding Routes via deleting and adding Route
>> DOM elements, with cobweb:
>>
>> https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/tests/fanOutRoute.xhtml
>>
>> It seems to work fine for Routes in the main scene/execution context.
>>
>> Now, there may be an expectation to also be able to add/delete routes
>> within inlines and their execution contexts, from outside the inline
since
>> DOM javascript code is by definition external.
>>
>> For example, a common scenario may be to have a scene with a single
Inline
>> dom node as a way to include the x3d content while still keeping the html
>> concise. A web page author then may still want to manipulate all aspects
of
>> the x3d.
>>
>> There is probably a way in cobweb to get the correct execution context of
>> the Route node that user code wants to remove, or add, by looking for the
>> closest ancestor scene element (since inline scenes are appended to their
>> inline element). Using this execution context it would then be possible
>> use the SAI addRoute and deleteRoute functions.
>>
>> However, the standard SAI does not seem to have a function to get the
>> execution context of an Inline scene, even for external SAI use ? Is this
>> the case ?
>>
>> If this is the case, is the main reason that the expectation is that any
>> access to a scene contained in an Inline would have take to place from
>> scripts (I believe these would be the containing node of
>> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/
19775-2/V3.3/Part02/concepts.html#ContainingNode)