[x3d-public] Purpose of X3Dng -- Animation

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 08:00:03 PDT 2016

Hi Leonard,

http://realism.com/blog/purpose-x3d-animation.

There are a few nuggets of some important general stuff mixed in with
a poor and uninformed view of the industry and what X3D HAnim can do.
My opinion is you are not even close to understanding what it is and
about what is really going on with data used to build and animate a
humanoid or any other skeletal creation.

How about actually using an X3D browser that does HAnim, the best is
BSContact (it used to be that Flux was as good as BSContact) or
instant, or any browser using the prototypes we have, and extend
yourself to read some of the example code for Segment geometry and
skin geometry examples and the actual rigging and animation steps
before you write in an authoritative manner. You're understanding is
very incomplete and even wrong about details in the article.

Try the X3D features, read the spec, and actually try some example and
you will see X3D is not as incomplete as you think.

HAnim is not that easy to understand, as you have shown in your
article. However, X3D HAnim is logical and completely the way it is
done everywhere. So, quit making remarks about what X3D doesn't do at
least until you actually do something with what we have.

The only thing you showed in this article is that you haven't read the
HAnim spec, you have not used the X3D HAnim to build a character, have
not looked at any X3D HAnim examples, have not even tried to build
anything close to an operating HAnim yourself, have not really
understood how those animation authoring systems work, and finally you
haven't even asked anyone any meaningful questions about the basic
technology.

Of course I am open to discussing what is HAnim and how we do it. Just
ask.

All Best,
Joe