[x3d-public] Purpose of X3Dng -- Animation

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 13:33:01 PDT 2016

> I also had
> tutoring on the specifics from some animators currently working in
> the
> industry, and the post was reviewed by an industry person prior to
> publication.
>
> So I might be wrong, but I don't really think so.

when you say the following, then you are wrong.

> HAnim is *NOT* the way it is done everywhere. It's only the way it
> is
> done in X3D, and even that does not follow the same principles as
> the
> industry work.

Good Luck in backing up either of those twp sentences..

For a general mesh animation tool that functions like most mesh
animation authoring tools carry, study the HAnim Displacer node. It
abstracts the most basic mesh deformation technique,
CoordinateInterpolators and a scale or weight factor.

> P.S. Right now (X3D V3.3) the biggest problem with H-Anim is that
> X3D
> does not support rigged deformable skin animation of joints. It is
> included in a separate component.

The first sentence is misleading and incorrect so stop saying that.
HAnim does Absolutely support rigged deformable skin animation by
animating the joints. The joints are what gets animated and
deformation of the skin is the result. The stuff is in a different
component because it is is a complex structure and computationally
intensive.
Even in HAnim there is a line between the X3D browsers that can do
skin and ones that can only do the simple Segment geometry.

If you want to do mesh animations using standard nodes, try
CoordinateInterpolators. if you wish to deform a mesh using inputs
that are dependent upon other events than skeletal joint rotation, the
look at HAnim Displacer.

> Because my point is not H-Anim.

Then quit talking about skeletons and joints and skin as used in HAnim
like you actually understand HAnim. Whatever it is you are calling
"rigged deformable skin animation of joints" may be real to you but to
me is a nonsense phrase. The skin gets animated as a result of
animation of joints. If this is a different thing, then quit using
terms found in and reserved for HAnim, like joint and skin. You can
discover something different and call it actuator(s) and mesh, for
instance, but not Joint(s) and skin.

All Best intentions, i'm sure.
Joe