[x3d-public] browser importDocument SAI service

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Sun Oct 23 20:18:28 PDT 2016

On 10/23/2016 2:35 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> On 10/22/2016 8:35 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>> On Oct 22, 2016 6:27 PM, "Don Brutzman" <brutzman at nps.edu
>> <mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>> wrote:

>> parsing HTML into a DOM is very available. I am not quite sure what
>> scenario you would have in mind here.
>
> something like
>
>     http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HelloWorldCobweb.html
> or
>     http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HelloWorldX3dom.xhtml
>
> in other words, an HTML document that contains an X3D scene, should we
> have a utility method that loads the document but strips out any
> HTML/CSS/etc. and leaves only X3D scene?

This is potentially risky because JavaScript can modify or even create
the HTML as the file is loading to produce different results. Some HTML
frameworks (e.g., React.js) load partial content until the region to be
display is nearly visible to the user, then the entire region is loaded.
The scene may also contain some vendor-specific scene elements that
should not be filtered out.

It is probably much easier (and safer) if you only accept straight X3D
than start mandating that the embedded X3D in HTML follow some very
specific design constraints.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant