[x3d-public] ProtoDeclarations via SAI ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:31:40 PDT 2016

I am working on adding Proto support for cobweb_dom. While adding/modifying
ProtoInstances via the DOM is very useful (and seemingly working in a dev.
branch), I am unsure about the possibility of adding/modifying(?)
ProtoDeclarations via the DOM.

The SAI spec. seems to specify that this should be possible:

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/Part02/servRef.html#ProtoDeclarationHandling
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#t-ExecutionContextProperties

Wait ..

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#PrototypeServices

says that ProtoDeclarations cannot be instantiated (by SAI methods).

Does that mean it should not be possible to add/update ProtoDeclarations
within a scene by an x3d script ? Is there an example script somewhere ?
All ProtoDeclarations a scene can ever expect to use should be available
when the scene is first loaded by the x3d browser ?

If not, it probably means that cobweb_dom should not try to do that as well
(although it may be possible).

Any feedback welcome,

-Andreas

--