[x3d-public] X3Dng Architecture Design

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Oct 26 21:27:41 PDT 2016

On 10/26/2016 7:26 PM, Joe D Williams wrote:
>> ... capabilities made available in the X3D files are either
>> insufficient (e.g., lack of deformable skin animation) ..
>
> Leonard, if you keep saying that [lack of deformable skin animation] I
> must report you for abuse of the HAnim and X3D standards.

Joe,

I have three points with H-Anim as expressed in V2. Some or all of these
comments also apply to V1.
1) It is confused about what it is trying to accomplish - it says its
for humanoids and it says it's for non-humanoids.
2) It uses terminology that is non-standard relative to the animation
industry
3) It defines a means of constructing the animation that is not standard
with that done by the animation industry.

I have provided multiple examples (both links and images) from people
working (including teaching) in the animation industry that show how it
is done there and how deformable skin joint animation is used for models
of non-animal and even non-living things. If you believe that my
analysis is wrong it is now up to you to provide industry-used examples
that show things differently. I am happy to work to understand those and
even, if necessary, change my opinion. The examples can included
technical papers (e.g., from SIGGRAPH), tutorials, videos, "how-to"
guides; pretty much anything done by or for people in the animation
industry.

What has been done under H-Anim (ISO/IEC 19774) is rather irrelevant to
my discussion because it does not follow industry standard practice.
There is no point, and it is actually detrimental to the industry, to
have a standard that is not in wide-spread use.

Leonard Daly