[x3d-public] DOM integration with cobweb

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:16:42 PDT 2016

Ok, I thought about relaying x3d sensor events to html DOM events a bit
more and settled (for now) on requiring a x3d sensor (eg. TouchSensor).

First, it turned out it was not necessary to modify cobweb in order to come
up with a first demonstrator implementation of a x3d event to DOM event
relay:

https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/index.xhtml

In the HTML each such sensor element would then be able to have listeners
to DOM events with names corresponding the field names such as
'hitPoint_changed' or 'isOver'. So a web page programmer can then use
sensorElement.addEventListener('hitPoint_changed',
myhandlerfunction(event)) .The shortcut attributes onhitPoint_changed and
such may be expected to be available as well but it would clutter the x3d
xml and invalidate it. It is also not really necessary.

In addition, it should be possible to also provide events with more
familiar names such as 'click' as aliases for the field events.

After carefully reading through the javascript SAI spec. I found the
field.addFieldCallback() SAI function here:

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#t-FieldFunctions

It does not seem to have a corresponding service in the SAI spec.:

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/Part02/servRef.html#FieldServices
?

But I was glad to see that the addFieldCallback() function is implemented
in cobweb (although a little different from what the terse spec. suggests)
and is a great way to hook into the field events. This is really what my
relay is based on.

The current implementation is restricted to TouchSensor but should cover
all of its field events. For the event object which is passed to the DOM
handler function, I added a .value property which has the value of the
field, but also a .fields property which is an object containing all of the
nodes fields for easy access. See example, and implementation in
cobweb_dom.js

It should be possible to generalize that to all sensor nodes, in fact the
code is designed that way. Perhaps it makes sense to attach these field
callbacks to all fields on all nodes, not just sensor nodes ?  To be able
to pick up on interpolator events, for example ? It feels like this could
affect performance since a lot of DOM events may be dispatched ? Well, it
would come down to trying it.

Any feedback or questions welcome,

Andreas

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Joe D Williams <joedwil at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> What I have in mind is to require x3d sensor nodes, unlike x3dom which
>>
> dispatches events on any shape.
>
> Fine, I would like to see that construction rather than the onclick and
> html script.
> All Best,
> Joe
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Plesch" <
> andreasplesch at gmail.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:58 PM
> Subject: Re: [x3d-public] DOM integration with cobweb
>

> Hello,
>>
>> thanks to a transcontinental flight I made some progress on my bridge
>> between the cobweb x3d scene graph and the DOM tree with x3d elements.
>>
>> Here are two simple examples:
>>
>> https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/addremoveNode.xhtml
>>
>> This is the x3dom add/remove nodes example (
>> http://examples.x3dom.org/example/x3dom_addRemoveNode.html) with minor
>> adjustments for xhtml but unchanged javascript control code.
>>
>> https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/index.xhtml
>>
>> This demonstrates both how html attribute changes are picked up by the x3d
>> scene graph, and how adding and removing html elements also is reflected
>> in
>> the x3d scene graph. The box trafos are root nodes, and the removable
>> Material node is a field of the Shape node.
>>
>> I put the bridge code in a separate file, so it can now be easily added to
>> any page.
>>
>> The next step would be to translate x3d sensor events into appropriate DOM
>> events. This will require probably more modification of the cobweb code
>> itself and a clear strategy.
>>
>> What I have in mind is to require x3d sensor nodes, unlike x3dom which
>> dispatches events on any shape.
>>
>> -Andreas
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I could generalize the handling of attribute changes by using the cobweb
>>> parser, with only a few lines (but a lot of investigation). This means
>>> that
>>> most field types should be accessible from the DOM now. However, I only
>>> tested with diffuseColor. I also figured out how to immediately apply the
>>> changes by triggering a set event for the changed field.
>>>
>>> Adding and removing of nodes is next. I think statements also need
>>> special
>>> treatment. For external statement changes and prototype changes, it may

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.
Waltham, MA 02453