[x3d-public] Fitness of X3D for 3D Printing?

Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] VAlekseyev at niaid.nih.gov
Sun Sep 18 08:22:51 PDT 2016

X3D support is coming to Cura in the next release: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/914https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/914 . There's no support for NURBS geometries, or any kind of curved geometry for that matter. Cura was built with STL in mind, its internal mesh format is a triangle set. I didn't feel like hand-tesselating NURBS.

Other slicers that are based on Cura code might follow suit. I also have X3D import code for CuraEngine (distinct from Cura proper), which some slicers are using, but haven't submitted it anywhere yet.

X3D import/export modules for Blender don't support NURBS. Blender, as far as I know, does support NURBS in some way, so there might be a way to implement import/export with relatively little effort. I didn't explore the possibility so far.

As for the color mixing, I'll let the more knowledgeable people speak of what is and what is not in the standard.