[x3d-public] considering general conversion of metadata

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Apr 6 09:32:40 PDT 2017

On 4/6/2017 9:09 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> [...]
> Current issues and potential improvements:
>
> a. Metadata name attribute.  Currently validating as NMTOKEN which may be overly strict since a variety of other rules apply in other metadata vocabularies.

Existing mantis issue is 764:
0000764: 7.3.4 X3DMetadataObject - Is name field required?
http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=742

which notes that the @required needed to be set in the XML DTD/schema.

Further, the abstract specification says that each name is required, but places no other limitations on what characters are allowed in such names (whitespace, colons, starting with a number etc.).  So that seems compatible with any general metadata scheme.

=======================
7.3.4 X3DMetadataObject
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/core.html#X3DMetadataObject

X3DMetadataObject {
   SFString [in,out] name      ""  (Required)
   SFString [in,out] reference ""
}

This abstract interface is the basis for all metadata nodes. The interface is inherited by all metadata nodes.

The specification of a non-empty value for the name field is required.

The specification of the reference field is optional. If provided, it identifies the metadata standard or other specification that defines the name field. If the reference field is not provided or is empty, the meaning of the name field is considered implicit to the characters in the string.

On today's specification-review teleconference (Walmsley Puk Carlson Brutzman) we reviewed this issue and think that the abstract specification is just fine on this concept.

We plan to next apply the already-existing requirements to have an SFString name consistently.

Further insights welcome, particularly if anyone has metadata examples from other information sources that we might try to represent consistently with X3D Metadata* nodes.