[x3d-public] X3DOM and Three.js

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Apr 11 11:10:49 PDT 2017

I would like to have an application that merged X3DOM and Three.js. The
specific requirements are below. I would like to use this to easily
handle X3D declarative data and the ability to investigate additional
capabilities that are included in Three (animation, shaders, rendering,
VR, etc.). There are also many tools that work in conjunction with Three
that would be nice to use at various times. I also want to have the DOM
interaction provided by X3DOM.

There is an X3D loader for Three
(https://github.com/jonaskello/three-x3d-loader); however, it's node set
is very limited (e.g., no animation) and it does not appear to provide a
DOM interface. John Carlson mentioned he had one, but I am not sure if
it meets the DOM interface requirements. Johannes mentioned that they
looked into Three as a renderer, but at the time there were too many
differences between X3D and how Three handled the scene graph and
rendered the result.

Initial Requirements
1) Use Three.js for all rendering
2) Provides DOM interface to X3D scene
3) Handle most X3D nodes
4) Easy to add new nodes or features (see A-Frame for an example of "easy")

The application needs to be able to run in the DOM and construct a scene
graph using Three from X3D tags (nodes) in the HTML file. In general all
tags and attributes (nodes and fields) need to be accessible from DOM
(both read and write). Internal animations (TimeSensor --> Interpolator
--> TargetNode) need to work.

So far my preliminary investigation indicates that the problem is
doable. The difficult part appears to be parsing the nodes In the HTML
file and keeping the DOM reference from the node to the Three object. I
have no idea of the performance would be, though it does need to be near
90 fps (browser willing).

Does anyone have any insights, comments, or thoughts on such an application?

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant