[x3d-public] Presentation from SVVR2017 (Leonard Daly)

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 12:57:57 PDT 2017

> From: Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
> To: x3d-public at web3d.org
>
> A-Frame's VR capability (as all of its rendering capability) is provided
> by Three.js. I know that Unreal has rather extensive VR (Rift, Vive)
> headset capability. I believe that Unity does too. Since the focus for
> this talk was on browser-based VR, I couldn't spend the time addressing
> VR capabilities of these platforms.

True, A-Frame only provides the declarative DOM layer, and three does all
the rendering.

Unity can export to webgl but I do not know if or how it supports webvr.

> > Did you get feedback after your presentation ? Anything you can share
> > would be interesting.
>
> Nothing significant. There was more in discussions with other attendees
> at the conference who did not see my presentation. I'll be posting that
> over the next month or so.

ok. thanks.

> > The idea of combining of x3dom and A-Frame somehow is interesting. I
> > think it would boil down to implementing a new x3d browser on top of
> > A-Frame which may be quite possible. I experimented by reimplementing
> > IndexedFaceSet and ElevationGrid in A-Frame and think that geometry
> > and material nodes could be quite straightforward. Not sure about
> > everything else but probably possible with a lot of work. It also
> > would mean having a SAI on top of the DOM (as being manipulated by
> > A-Frame and custom event interfaces). Your presentation made a good
> > argument that there is a lot of value in having a wide set of
> > standardized capabilites.
>
> Personally, I think putting X3DOM on top of A-Frame is a bit like
> inverting a pyramid. A-Frame (as defined, not extended) is a rather
> limited-capability system. I think it would be much easier to put
> A-Frame on top of X3DOM -- except the part with A-Frame extensions. I
> think a better choice is to merge the two keeping the most important
> capabilities of both. I am formulating some ideas on that.

Well, the idea of A-Frame is to be extensible with the hope that over time
enough functionality emerges so it becomes truly easy to use.

A-Frame takes care of parsing html (using html5 custom elements API I
believe), helps with defining nodes, and provides rendering and interaction
basics. To me it does sound like a good intermediate layer between three
and x3d. And it exists. Of course, then all elements have to start with
'a-'.

-Andreas