[x3d-public] X3D features missing, but desired, by a game engine

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:47:04 PDT 2017

Addendum to my previous mail, some additional notes:

> But I think that "guessing" the image type by analyzing the content is
> also not good (e.g. it makes it impossible to mark a clear white
> texture as RGB in GIMP/Photoshop).

I meant here "Analyzing the content is not good, if you're going to
show different things depending on whether you detect grayscale or
RGB."

Analyzing the content is sensible if done only for optimization
(grayscale texture is 4x smaller than RGBA on GPU).

>> Would that help with renderedTexture somehow?
>
> RenderedTexture has a "dimensions" field that specifies (among other
> things) the number of color components (1-4). So, in this case, the
> user explicitly declares whether it's RGB or grayscale.

Links to RenderedTexture:
- http://xj3d.org/extensions/render_texture.html
- http://doc.instantreality.org/documentation/nodetype/RenderedTexture/
- https://castle-engine.sourceforge.io/x3d_implementation_texturing_extensions.php#section_ext_rendered_texture