[x3d-public] cannot update SVN on X3D sourceforge. Please removesupposed virus.

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:00:04 PDT 2017

> Is the file signed (probably the signature has to be up-to-date too)?  I would have more of a case then, see:

In this case, I guess that the "SetupFluxStudio.exe" is from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_%28software%29 which is not active
anymore. So if it's not signed already, then there's probably no chance
for a new version signed by any original developer.

Probably it's indeed best to remove it from SVN repository.

I fear a bit how will this affect other software (including my own...)
on Windows. If Microsoft is getting such aggressive about exe signing
(treating it as a virus, and not allowing you to submit it as
false-positive), then some of my software is in trouble too:)

> I wonder if there’s an option for SVN?

I don't believe there is, because there's nothing SVN could do. SVN does this:

1. Download data from the Internet, place it in
"C:/x3d-code/.svn./.../pristine/xxx" file.
2. Sometime later: try to move "C:/x3d-code/.svn./.../pristine/xxx" to
"C:/x3d-code/xxx".

Between 1. and 2., the virus checker removes the file.

You can't easily change the way SVN works here, without breaking some
SVN functionality. It's actually useful that it keeps a "pristine"
copy, and it's reasonable that the file is copied later (to only
update your working copy once everything downloaded correctly).

I can imagine many other software (like other version control
systems), including my own (when I save downloaded files to a
temporary location) getting broken by the behavior of such virus
checker.

Regards,
Michalis