[x3d-public] Flattening Scene Graph

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Apr 25 21:50:38 PDT 2017

I would like to know what people think of the concept of flattening out
portions of the scene graph. Specifically the Shape node and its
contents. The current structure for an object is something like:

<Transform translation='1 2 3' orientation='.707 .707 0 1' scale='.6 1.2
1.8'>
     <Shape>
         <Box size='3 2 1'/>
         <Appearance>
             <Material diffuseColor='1 .5 0'/>
             <ImageTexture url='wrap.jpg'/>
         </Appearance>
     </Shape>
</Transform>

Of course there any many different ways to have a Shape node, but using
this as an example...

Create a new node called Mesh and put all of the children attributes and
parent Transform (if one exists) attributes into the node  as such

<Mesh
     translation='1 2 3'
     orientation='.707 .707 0 1'
     scale='.6 1.2 1.8'
     geometry='Box:size (3 2 1)'
     diffuseColor='orange'
     texture='url (wrap.jpg)' />

This may not be the best choices for various attributes and something
more complex would need to be done for the non-primitive geometries
(e.g., IndexedFaceSet, ElevationGrid).

At this time I am just considering the implications of this kind of
structure.

Thanks,

--
*Leonard Daly*