[x3d-public] MFString quoting [was: interesting sample]

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:01:34 PDT 2017

> Of particular interest: valid examples that appear to be not supported by
> the spec.  So far have been able to handle everything.

Feel free to copy my testcase
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/castle-engine/demo-models/master/x3d/test_mfstring_quotes.x3d
:) I hereby place it in public domain, you can use it wherever you see
fit.

It tests some cases that are valid XML, and in practice work
(probably?) everywhere, but are disallowed by the strict reading of
the X3D XML specification.

>  X3D Example Archives: X3D for Web Authors, Chapter 02 Geometry Primitives, Text Have Fun With X3D
>  http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter02GeometryPrimitives/TextHaveFunWithX3DIndex.html
> Looks like Instant Reality, X3DOM and BS Contact support the emoticon glyph.

view3dscene internally handles it OK too . You can even make
round-trip by converting this example (using view3dscene) from XML
encoding to classic encoding and then back to XML encoding, and see
that the emoticon is preserved in the source code.

But view3dscene doesn't load a font with this emoticon character, so
it is invisible at rendering. A developer can swap the font used for
rendering in Castle Game Engine, to add support for any characters,
but the view3dscene only loads a basic font with ASCII characters.

IOW, it's a known bug of the current view3dscene implementation:)
Eventually, we'll add loading additional characters from TTF file as
necessary, and this will be solved.

Best regards,
Michalis