[x3d-public] MFString quoting [was: interesting sample]

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 26 18:57:35 PDT 2017

On 4/26/2017 6:01 PM, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

>> Of particular interest: valid examples that appear to be not supported by
>> the spec.  So far have been able to handle everything.
>
> Feel free to copy my testcase
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/castle-engine/demo-models/master/x3d/test_mfstring_quotes.x3d
> :) I hereby place it in public domain, you can use it wherever you see
> fit.
>
> It tests some cases that are valid XML, and in practice work
> (probably?) everywhere,

Visual inspection seemed OK to me, it worked in most players.  H3D throws an XML exception, OctagaVS fails, and I couldn't get view3dscene to work on my system (trouble-report screenshot attached).

X3D Validator is mostly OK but it only counts quotes and backslashes, so precise pass/fail messages are difficult.  (at least it provides a nag alert to check.)

Thanks for a good example.  Looks valid to me.

> but are disallowed by the strict reading of
> the X3D XML specification.
that's the "eye of the specification beholder" difference perhaps, hopefully my (simultaneous) email response shed more light on the ins-and-outs involved.

whether strictly disallowed (and accidentally supported my multiple players) or simply unclear and misunderstandable, by now everyone likely agrees that improved X3D XML Specification descriptions and examples can help.

>>   X3D Example Archives: X3D for Web Authors, Chapter 02 Geometry Primitives, Text Have Fun With X3D
>>   http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter02GeometryPrimitives/TextHaveFunWithX3DIndex.html
>> Looks like Instant Reality, X3DOM and BS Contact support the emoticon glyph.
>
> view3dscene internally handles it OK too . You can even make
> round-trip by converting this example (using view3dscene) from XML
> encoding to classic encoding and then back to XML encoding, and see
> that the emoticon is preserved in the source code.

cool

> But view3dscene doesn't load a font with this emoticon character, so
> it is invisible at rendering. A developer can swap the font used for
> rendering in Castle Game Engine, to add support for any characters,
> but the view3dscene only loads a basic font with ASCII characters.
>
> IOW, it's a known bug of the current view3dscene implementation:)
> Eventually, we'll add loading additional characters from TTF file as
> necessary, and this will be solved.
>
> Best regards,
> Michalis

makes sense and the future sounds better + better, again thanks!