[x3d-public] view3dscene cannot open file in c:/Users/... (was: MFString quoting)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 26 20:00:33 PDT 2017

thanks for troubleshooting effort

On 4/26/2017 7:17 PM, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
>> Visual inspection seemed OK to me, it worked in most players.  H3D throws an
>> XML exception, OctagaVS fails, and I couldn't get view3dscene to work on my
>> system (trouble-report screenshot attached).
>
> The error message on your screenshot says that from the point of view
> of view3dscene, there is no such file.
>
> - Do you have a file C:\Users\don\Desktop\test_mfstring_quotes.x3d ?

yes

> Is the file readable by your normal user (the same one you use to run
> view3dscene), e.g. can you open it with "notepad"?

yes, confirmed on multiple applications and editors

> - How do you exactly open this X3D file?

a variety of ways, no surprises

> Can you run view3dscene.exe
> and then use the "Open" button from it's toolbar?

yes, version 3.15.0, but get the same error on this file

> - Can you open *any* file with view3dscene?

sure, plenty.

so i copied it to another directory (rather than desktop) and view3dscene loaded it OK.  hooray, confirmation attached.

> - Is it possible that view3dscene.exe, or test_mfstring_quotes.x3d,
> was moved to some quarantine folder (I guess that they are both
> treated as "downloaded from the Internet"), and something like
> anti-virus is trying to prevent view3dscene from seeing your actual
> disk contents?

good thinking - i have no other indications of that, but something strange is happening in this particular case on my desktop.

anyway the scene now loads OK, that was the main thing.  i'll report if any other ideas emerge but we can write this off as a Windows curiosity i suppose.  appreciate your response.