[x3d-public] MFString quoting [was: interesting sample]

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 05:39:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> On 4/26/2017 7:10 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017 11:16 PM, "Michalis Kamburelis"
>>
>>     So
>>
>>        " ' MFString or SFString ? ' "
>>
>>     is either
>>     - an incorrect MFString (you cannot use ' to delimit parts within
>> MFString)
>>
>> Yes, you are right, that is incorrect.
>>

> agreed that is incorrect
>
> But that brings up SFStrings.
>> When not used as part of an MFString, they still have the double quote
>> requirement while XML allows both single or double quotes.
>>
> agreed for SFString values.  Equivalent constructs:
>
> XML
>         <WorldInfo title='Hello world!'/>

        <WorldInfo title="Hello world!"/>

Are you implying that  <WorldInfo title='Hello world!'/> should be a
conforming X3D XML encoding (of the WorldInfo node with a title field
value) ?
I think you may since the X3D XML encoding does not get to define the outer
quotes of an attribute value, meaning that we are all pretty much on the
same page.

> ClassicVRML and VRML encodings do not permit such variation, simply
>
>         WorldInfo {
>           title "Hello world!"
>         }

Perhaps the X3D XML encoding spec. should retain a  paragraph on best
practices for consistency with the VRML encoding.

-Andreas