[x3d-public] MFString quoting [was: interesting sample]

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 08:30:23 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> On 4/27/2017 5:39 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu <mailto:
>> brutzman at nps.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 4/26/2017 7:10 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>> [...]
>>         But that brings up SFStrings.
>>         When not used as part of an MFString, they still have the double
>> quote requirement while XML allows both single or double quotes.
>>
>>     agreed for SFString values.  Equivalent constructs:
>>
>>     XML
>>              <WorldInfo title='Hello world!'/>
>>              <WorldInfo title="Hello world!"/>
>>
>> Are you implying that  <WorldInfo title='Hello world!'/> should be a
>> conforming X3D XML encoding (of the WorldInfo node with a title field
>> value) ?
>>

> Not quite... Am stating that they are both equivalent representations
> according to XML Recommendation rules.

> I think you may since the X3D XML encoding does not get to define the
>> outer quotes of an attribute value, meaning that we are all pretty much on
>> the same page.
>>

> Correct, yes.

Ok. Hm. Yes, but not quite ?

>     ClassicVRML and VRML encodings do not permit such variation, simply
>>
>>              WorldInfo {
>>                title "Hello world!"
>>              }
>>
>> Perhaps the X3D XML encoding spec. should retain a  paragraph on best
>> practices for consistency with the VRML encoding.
>>

> Not clear what else there is to say?  All three are equivalent and all
> three produce the same SFString value, so they are are all satisfactory.
> Each of the XML variants will pass validation as well.

Well, I am just not sure what the value of "conforming" would be if certain
non-conforming (attempts at) encodings can be also "satisfactory" and
"valid" ?

Please do not feel obliged to dive deeper, I can live with some ambiguity
and do think time is better spend elsewhere.

Best,

-Andreas