[x3d-public] Flattening Scene Graph

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Apr 27 14:30:26 PDT 2017

There seems to be a misunderstanding today. In the last two email
replies to earlier message there is the statement that (quoting from
this email) "X3D ... delegate it's core job... to glTF". This is not the
case. I do not see glTF as replacing scene integration, management, and
interaction. I do see glTF being used to provide models that are
integrated into the scene. This is the way it is done in Unity, Unreal,
film, TV, CryEngine, Lumberyard, etc. There will be times when the
geometry absolutely needs to be a fully part of the scene graph. If the
geometry is getting changed based on user or other non-pre-determined
manner, than use of a format like glTF won't work.

The Consortium did not have an official statement excluding games, but
it was mentioned all the time in presentations and other discussions
about the target verticals. The main reason games were excluded was the
Consortium did not want to get into meeting high-performance rendering
and response requirements necessary for many games, especially
first-person shooter ones.

Note that in the Wiki document you reference there is the statement
"Note that it is not a requirement that all features and capabilities in
X3D V3.3 are included in V4.0" and "Our goal is to maximize, but not
necessarily require, backwards compatibility in version 4.0 with the
version 3.x specifications". X3D is by nearly all measures a large
language. Many people consider it too large (or at least the language
size is a high barrier for entry). A major revision is a good time to do
a review of all features to make sure they are really required AND and
expressed correctly for optimal use in the future.

If X3D is strictly to be an archive format, then it makes sense to
monotonically grow the language. If X3D is to function as a run-time,
then it makes more sense to be as lean as possible. The answer to the
future of X3D is someplace in the middle.

Leonard Daly

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant