[x3d-public] X3D Specification Relationships diagram

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Aug 10 16:59:57 PDT 2017

There was a time when the "holy-grail" of X3D was to be included in
every browser so it would not be necessary to download and install a
plug-in for it to function. Several years ago X3DOM came along and
provided a means to not only play X3D in a browser without a plugin, but
it also had some integration with HTML/DOM. This was a major step to
realizing that early initial hope.

Now it appears that the effort is to have X3D run stand-alone. I come to
this conclusion based on the number of languages that are on the list
below to have a standardized binding to the SAI, the lack of DOM as an
API as one of those listings, and the  lack of concrete progress on
determining how to integrate X3D into an HTML environment while handling
HTML events, CSS, and node name collisions (i.e., Script).

Meanwhile there never seems to be enough people and time to work on the
existing issues involved in V4 and clean up from V3.x. Very little work
has been done to understand and investigate integration of other
technologies (e.g., A-Frame and XML3D being the most notable ones) into
the structure of X3D. Also no significant work has been done to
investigate what is necessary to VR requirements and how X3D could meet
those. X3D is woefully behind the time in the appearance of geometry as
it really only has uniform colors and texture maps.  It is missing
techniques such as advanced/alternate lighting models, bump maps,
reflections, shadows, ambient occlusion, physically based rendering, and
others. (For example, see the THREE.js documentation on what it provides
at https://threejs.org/docs/index.html#api/materials/MeshPhongMaterial).
It is also important to address VR now because the current plans call
for AR to be part of V4.1 and there is a lot of overlap.

I do not know what to make of this extensive expanding of X3D when
current work is so resource limited right now.

Leonard Daly

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant