[x3d-public] [x3d] X3D Specification Relationships diagram

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 04:56:19 PDT 2017

Leonard,

Do you have an actual example that cannot be made to work in Cobweb +
Cobweb_dom?  It helps to deal with realistic examples.

Is the difficulty with writing up how Cobweb or X3DJSONLD works?

You can visit my page @ https://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/ to see how my
script + route -> script + event handlers works with X3DOM, (there by are
several evals in loaderJQuery.js) but I believe I've posted the results
here.   I guess I need to post before and after scenarios.

Thanks,

John

On Aug 10, 2017 9:31 PM, "Leonard Daly" <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:

On 8/10/2017 5:17 PM, John Carlson wrote:

Leonard wrote:

>and node name collisions (i.e., Script).

There has been quite a bit of progress with this and X3DJSONLD and X3DOM.
It’s been under the covers because I have not advertised it much. I have
several scripts running, but not the full complement of my examples.  It
does not run the X3D event model yet, except for initialize().

Cobweb of course, already handles this, so quit bellyaching.

Cobweb even with Andreas' DOM interface extensions does not integrate with
the DOM regarding Scripts. A full integration would allow the following:

X3D Script function called 'foo'
HTML script function called 'bar'

In the body of bar, I should be able to redefine 'foo'. It is (in a fully
integrated system) available as window.foo. Similarly for inside of 'foo'
to change 'bar'.

function bar(event, time) {
    window.foo = bar;            // I would (perhaps) settle for
window.x3d.foo = bar;
}

and

<Script ...>    <!-- X3D Script node -->
    function foo (event, time) {
        window.bar = foo;
    }
</script>

I should be able to construct an object with 'foo' as a method. E.g.,

var globalVar = {};
globalVar.x3d = foo;

// should call the X3D script passing it a reference to the current value
of 'event' and 'time'.
globalVar.x3d(event, time);

Inside 'foo' I should be able to access any DOM element to get it's current
state or even establish an event listener.

I know there are some things that Cobweb can do, but there has been no
discussions in the WG for the language that would be necessary to ensure
HTML/DOM/X3D interaction like I described above.

Unrolling scripts on the server (or at least not in the runtime of the
browser) is all fine and good, but again there has been no discussion in
the WG as to how to even approach writing that up.

I will be happy to be (relatively) quiet on these points if someone can
show me working examples and proposed text to make this work.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant