[x3d-public] [cad] STL File Format for 3D Printing - Simply Explained | All3DP

Richard F. Puk puk at igraphics.com
Mon Aug 14 08:21:49 PDT 2017

Hi, Roy and Michalis -

In addition to the quote from the spec, an Inline node must also handle
IMPORT and EXPORT mappings. At SIGGraph and at the WG6 meeting, we discussed
specifying ExternalGeometry and/or ExternalShape nodes. While they are
intended for importing glTF content, there is no reason why they couldn't
also handle STL if am implementered desired it. The purpose of these two
nodes is to allow content ready for rendering to be bulk loaded into a
geometry processor (or geometry processor simulator J) with little or no
interpretation, thus greatly speeding the handle of large amounts of
geometry. The difference between ExternalGeometry and ExternalShape is that
ExternalShape can also include appearance information as specified in glTF.

n  Dick