[x3d-public] motivations and potential renaming of OM4X3D asX3DUnified Object Model (X3DUOM)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Aug 20 20:18:50 PDT 2017

working backwards...

On 8/20/2017 9:19 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> Here’s the international standard for XMI (there’s also DI for diagrams):
>
> *XMI 2.4.2*
>
> ISO <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_for_Standardization>/IEC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Electrotechnical_Commission> 19509:2014 Information technology — XML Metadata Interchange (XMI)

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_Metadata_Interchange
>
> John
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Yes a pretty common choice, especially for enterprise.  But heavyweight, usually requiring an expensive commercial tool, lots of idiosyncracies we'd have to learn, difficult to maintain, difficult to automate original construction, etc. etc.  Haven't heard any demand yet either, but am certainly glad you bring it up.

Could be a good choice or alternative at some point.  Certainly should be feasible.  But we didn't have such time and money to spend on tool-based efforts, instead wanted a simple comprehensive approach.

Since X3D XML Schema had most of the information needed already, and since adding input/output fields helped review what was there already, and since we wanted a simple reusable result that is data driven for current and future versions, we took the approach of further annotating the XML schema.

Description found in Web3D 2017 tutorial:

	Figure:  Creation and Autogeneration of Object Model for X3D
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM/ObjectModelForX3dCreation.png

	Design tutorial: Object Model For X3D (OM4X3D) Master Class, Web3D 2017
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM/ObjectModelForX3dMasterClassWeb3dConference2017June7.pdf

Results are simple, checkable and reusable for various conversions.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DObjectModel-3.3.xml

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes3.3.xml

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/AllX3dElementsAttributes3.3.txt is built by
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/AllX3dElementsAttributesTextTemplate.xslt

When you have a vocabulary such as X3D unified object model, it is much easier to write semantic rule sets in RDF and OWL.

Semantic Web applications for X3D have appeared in past Web3D conferences and will likely be a theme for Web3D 2018.

	Web3D 2018, 20-22 June 2018, Poznań, Poland
	The 23rd International Conference on Web3D Technology
	http://web3d2018.web3d.org

> I’ve already mentioned specification languages with regards to this, but was ignored.

I don't think you've ever been ignored.  In fact you are credited.  So hey share the blame!  8)

> There is an ISO standard specification language.  Anyone care to use it?  What are standards for when you can invent your own?
>
> I sniff NIH.  It smells bad.  We should be using standards generated by the standards community.

?? Details please - were you referring to XMI?  Not avoiding anything.

We have not invented a language for everything everywhere, we have produced a workflow to support multiple X3D Object Model efforts.

> Also XMI comes to mind http://www.omg.org/spec/XMI/2.5.1/PDF I have also mentioned this before, but probably in a smaller group.
>
> John

As above, good candidate but a heavy lift.  We took a straighter path to best support straightforward X3D progress.  Still a candidate for future work if someone wants.

As ever thanks John.  Hope this helps, let's keep filling gaps.