[x3d-public] Fwd: Re: motivations and potential renaming of OM4X3D as X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 04:55:51 PDT 2017

I agree that coming up with declarative computer graphics standard is
difficult.   Getting mindshare and keeping up with the state of the art is
difficult too.   People tend to fall back into old patterns of "just code
it" instead of looking at a declarative approach.

I appreciate the difficulty and the desire to provide minimal
functionality.  Unfortunately, much of the market requires a "wow" factor.

Perhaps there doesn't need to be a declarative graphics standard, and we
will all should port our declarative graphics from one system to another
using converters, and then modify it to suit the system.

Alternatively, have we considered using AI or other coding techniques to do
conversions from imperative to declarative systems and back (see X3DJSONLD,
X3dToJava.xslt)?   Do we have enough examples?

Do we need persistent processes instead of persistent formats?