[x3d-public] Alternate Units for X3D and 3D Printing

Ryan, Justin jryan1 at phoenixchildrens.com
Fri Dec 8 07:20:44 PST 2017

Hello X3D Public List,

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me regarding units. I have been translating STL to X3D for medical 3D models. While the STLs are technically unitless, the de facto standard unit of medical 3D reconstruction is mm. A direct conversion means that the X3D are scaled up by a factor of 1000.

While I am working on creating a script to scale the coordinate points, I was also hoping on utilizing xml tags to also scale.

I attempted adding the following (separate and together); however, opening the files in netfabb had zero impact on its import scale.

Option 1 (right after opening scene tag):

Option 2 (right after opening head tag):
<unit category='length' conversionFactor='0.001' name='millimeters'/>

Any ideas as to why neither of these fixed my scale issue? Besides changing the actual coordinate points (dividing all by 1000), are there other unit tags that might be opened by netfabb? My concern with using a <transform scale...> is that the reason why there is a scale might be lost if the files were being disseminated.

Last follow-up question, what is the maximum precision of coordinate points within X3D (if I do go the divide by 1000 route)?

[cid:image001.png at 01CE68DD.51995EF0]

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D29DA3.311203E0]

Justin Ryan, PhD
Arizona State University Adjunct Faculty
Phoenix Children's Hospital Research Scientist

Phoenix Children's Hospital
Cardiac 3D Print Lab

p (602) 933-3902

Cardiac3DPrintLab.com<http://cardiac3dprintlab.com/>

[cid:image001.png at 01CE68DD.51995EF0]

This transmission, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, legally privileged, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this to an addressee, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message.