[x3d-public] ImageTexture3D support in x3dom

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 03:26:01 PST 2017

One of the many excellent features of x3dom is its extensive volume
rendering support, provided by vicomtech. For loading efficiency it uses a
special volume texture format, a 2d texture atlas of slices in regular
image formats.

Using tools like image magick it is not too hard to convert an actual raw
data volume to such a texture atlas image but I always thought it would be
neat to avoid having to do that. I saw now a way to use existing pieces to
start implement the standard ImageTexture3D node which can load nrrd, dicom
and other (?) formats.

Focusing on nrrd, here is a first implementation of the ImageTexture3D node:

https://x3dom-nrrd.glitch.me/index.xhtml (for Halloween next year ...)

I tested with a few nrrd examples and overall it seems to work although I
am sure there a few problems left. But the support is good enough that the
node may be listed in a table of supported nodes for x3dom, I suspect.

a peaceful holiday season, Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453