[x3d-public] Picking Objects [was: review of various X3D statement implementations for X3DOM]

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Dec 20 12:32:15 PST 2017

On 12/20/2017 11:16 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
> Hi Michalis,
>
> yes, that is how DEF/USE should be implemented. The point I am trying
> to understand is if there is absolutely no distinction between the
> original DEF node and a USE node which references the DEF node, how
> can the USE node be identified, for example during picking ? The USE
> node still needs to have at least a distinct ID, right ?

Andreas,

There is no distinction as it is not a separate node. For example:

<Transform position='5 0 0'>
   <Shape DEF='PickShape'>
     <Box DEF='PickGeometry'/>
     <Appearance>
       <Material diffuseColor='1 0 0'/>
     </Appearance>
   </Shape>
</Transform>

<Transform position='0 5 0'>
   <Shape USE='PickShape'/>
</Transform>

<Transform position='0 0 5'>
   <Shape DEF='PickShape2'>
     <Box USE='PickGeometry'/>
     <Appearance>
       <Material diffuseColor='0 1 0'/>
     </Appearance>
   </Shape>
</Transform>

Will display a scene with 3 boxes, one at 5 units from the origin on
each coordinate axis. The X & Y boxes are colored red, the Z box is
colored green. Picking (from the X3D scene) will generate an event on
either PickShape or PickGeometry node, no matter which one is picked. If
internally OpenGL identifies the boxes as different, it is reduced to
the single instance when the picked objected is returned.

[I know the code above won't exactly work for picking (assuming
TouchSensor or equivalent), but it should be clear enough to get the
point across.]

Leonard Daly

--
*Leonard Daly*