[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] CSS bindings for <x3d> ...</x3d>

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:49:56 PST 2017

I believe SVG distinguishes between 'presentation attributes' which are
those which can be styled and other attributes. Strictly speaking, css
properties (cssdom) are independant from html element attributes (and I
believe DOM node properties) but are often mapped to each other. There is
always the style attribute for any html element to access css properties.
x3d nodes would not need a style field since there would not be any fields
which can only be accessed via css. But there still would be an expectation
by web authors to have a style attribute for x3d nodes if x3d gets css.

Should fields of any geometry node be stylable ? Morph geometries ?

Should html pseudo classes (:hover ..) be supported ? css selectors are
very powerful (and because of that sometimes considered slow) and the dom
now also can use them with .querySelectorAll().

Probably, all node manipulation via css would need to be translated into
equivalent SAI method sequences. There is initialization time manipulation
but style changes could also be dynamic.

-Andreas

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we should figure out what we want to show without styles and that
> will be the dividing line between what's styled and what's not.
>
> Wireframes? Basic geometry and transforms without color? Images?
>
> On Feb 6, 2017 11:00 AM, "Joe D Williams" <joedwil at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> ...closing-the-gap-between-html-and-webgl/
>>>

>> yes, in this case the gap between webgl and html is the html dom. The
>> efforts are how to get webgl functionalities into a state where features of
>> webgl can be integrated into the dom (or any event-driven scenegraph), An
>> example is touchsensor where the javascript platform gives access to webgl
>> functionalities and communicates with the html using dom interfaces.
>>
>> This is essentially what x3d does - adding author support for basic stuff
>> like an object model for the scenegraph structures and a timestamped
>> cascade event system regardless whether the underlying system is webgl or
>> ogl; Sometimes when people are inventing this stuff, I hope they would look
>> at some x3d. I'm sure the x3dom and cobweb and other great javascript
>> supporting the ongoing intergration of x3d and html gibes some hints.
>>
>> The point with css is that it is a very convenient way to control certain
>> aspects of the scene. And, the current css with html shows that it is
>> possible to rebuild an html browser to do css operations using mostly
>> standard dom interfaces.
>>
>> Thanks and Best,
>> Joe
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Carlson" <