[x3d-public] X3D Java SAI. DEFs allowed to contain -?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Jan 3 21:35:50 PST 2017

John,

In the XML encoding 4.3.4
(http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#DEFAndUSEAttributeSyntax),
the first paragraph discusses DEF and USE structures. It states "[t]he
same name-construction conventions regarding legal character
combinations apply" where DEF is of XML type 'ID' and USE is of XML type
'IDREF'.

If you trace through the XML definitions for ID, XML (as best as I can
tell) allows a dash, except as a first character. I ended up at
https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-Name where the definition of 'Name' is
made.

I am confused about the definition of USE. The 19776-1 document states
that it is of type XML IDREF. IDREFs appear to be only usable in
Document Type Definition as part of the ATTLIST declaration (see
https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/ or
http://xmlwriter.net/xml_guide/attlist_declaration.shtml). I am not sure
if 19776-1 is extending the definition to a new use or it is using the
term incorrectly.

Leonard Daly

On 1/3/2017 8:48 PM, yottzumm at gmail.com wrote:

> Are DEFs allowed to contain –‘s?  If so, then there’s a problem with
> the setConcreteDEF method.

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Chair