[x3d-public] X3D VR and viewing - HMD node or mode?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:07:01 PST 2017

Sounds like a plan as it will be critical to interface well with the WebVR
API as an important emerging standard for consumer VR hardware.

First, a link to the WebVR standard:

https://w3c.github.io/webvr/
latest: https://rawgit.com/w3c/webvr/master/index.html (development)

Going through every parameter in the webvr standard will be a lengthy
process, so let's better get started.

Note, that right in the introduction the focus is directed at interfaces to
VR hardware.

X3D though device independant has a fair amount of assumptions on hardware
capabilities used to render and interact with the scenegraph. For example,
pointing devices and keyboards and opengl/inventor based rendering are
implied to be available.

> Regarding configuration information, here is another way of considering
our many existing capabilities together with new opportunities.

> a. Perform a diff of functionality between WebVR API and X3D scene graph.

> -   What is in WebVR needed for HMDs that isn't supported in X3D?
> -  probably also helpful to list everything found in common already.

First: https://w3c.github.io/webvr/#interface-vrdisplay

General points: x3d does not have a concept of a display, eg. the exact
method of displaying is left to the x3d browser. The scene does not have a
way to infer display parameters other than browser.options which a browser
may provide. In addition to display parameters, vrDisplay also includes
navigation parameters, the pose. x3d has a concept of navigation, so there
are intersections.

readonly attribute boolean isConnected: could be used by a browser
implementation to indicate to the user that HMD is available. If x3d has
guidelines on browser UI, it should include a list of available display
devices. Probably best left to the discretion of the browser.

readonly attribute boolean isPresenting: the browser should use this
attribute to indicate that a device is currently in use. On a web page this
could be a message on the monitor, replacing the scene rendering. Should be
also available to the scene, to allow dynamic adjustment of scene
content/viewpoint use when HMD is used. MetadataBoolean
vrDisplayisPresenting .

readonly attribute VRDisplayCapabilities capabilities: detail for each
property later. Most capabilities potentially useful for a scene, eg.
should be in Metadata. If a capability is not available, the browser should
not attempt to substitute for the missing capability. Should be shown in a
browser UI.

readonly attribute VRStageParameters? stageParameters: detail for each
property later. Concerns both viewing and interaction. Browser needs
sittingToStandingTrafo, scene could use sizes of stage to add visual stage
representation to scene, so in Metadata.

VREyeParameters getEyeParameters(VREye whichEye): renderWidth/Height for
browser rendering, and browser UI . fov and offset deprecated . Resolution
useful for scene as Metadata, also more generally for any kind of display.

boolean getFrameData(VRFrameData frameData): VRFramedata have
projection/view matrices and pose. Viewpoint discussion applies. Browser
uses these data to navigate by updating viewpoint on top of other
navigation mode dependent navigation. Useful also for scene but expensive
since Metadata would need to be updated every frame. Detail later but x3d
needs to use the provided data.

[NewObject] VRPose getPose(): deprecated in favour of FrameData

void resetPose(): designate a key press to call resetPose when HMD
isPresenting, similar to key presses to cycle viewpoints ? InputField
MetadataBoolean vrDisplayResetPose to trigger reset ?

attribute double depthNear; gets used to determine provided projection
matrix, should be set to viewpoint's zNear by browser, so no new field
required

attribute double depthFar; same

unsigned long requestAnimationFrame(FrameRequestCallback callback); browser
implementation detail

void cancelAnimationFrame(unsigned long handle); browser implementation
detail

Promise<void> requestPresent(sequence<VRLayerInit> layers); layer has
source to be displayed, currently only 1 layer allowed, no new nodes .

Promise<void> exitPresent(); used by browser to stop displaying on HMD,
Scene can use isPresenting above to react.

sequence<VRLayer> getLayers();

void submitFrame(); browser uses this to indicate that a frame is ready to
be displayed in the HMD. WebVR will then display it.

isPresenting

capabilities.hasFeatureX

stageParametersSizes

left/rightRenderWidth/Height

resetPose

Next VRLayer and VRDisplay capabilities.

-Andreas

> b. Characterize and define those parameters, divide and conquer:
> - what information is specific to hardware devices for viewing,
> - what information is specific to hardware devices for interaction,
> - what information is specific to user anatomy: spacing between eyes, etc.
> - what information might be considered scene specific, i.e. varying by
scene usage?
> - what information might be considered a user preference?
>
> c. Preparing for initial experimentation and evaluation, what are use
cases for common use?
> - the MAR Reference Model (update briefing in Seoul next week) has done a
lot on that.

> d. Good assumption: X3D viewing navigation and interaction models are
device neutral already.  Rephrase: authors can create scenes for users that
can be used immediately and effectively over a wide range of devices
already, no further customization needed.

> e. Looking over all the WebVR/HMD diffs with existing X3D:
> -  likely this is mostly information that can be expressed as parameters.
> - just like on this discussion thread, people will want to try different
approaches with nodes/fields/scripts
> - the information set of parameters could be captured in a Prototype,
perhaps embedding a Script
> - the information set of parameters could be captured in a MetadataSet
collection
> - this enables different players to implement in their own way using
shared X3D content

> Hope this helps explain a potential path for further cooperative
exploration.  There are lots of alternatives.

> I will be requesting permission to share MAR Reference Model more widely
in our consortium/community, it will likely complement WebVR nicely.

> We can discuss for a bit on today's X3D working group teleconference, if
you or anyone wants.  Probably should be a monthly focus topic, dialog
often clarifies email ideas nicely.

brutzman at nps.edu>> wrote:

>>> Another option: can we define HMD parameters separately from existing
Viewpoint and NavigationInfo nodes, so that existing scenes (with many many
viewpoints already defined) might be viewable without modification.

>> Ok, while sofar the node/field proposals were made from a practical
standpoint taking into account existing or feasible implementations, let's
turn it around and see what should ideally be available from a scene
authoring perspective.

>> Let's imagine there is a browser and it has built-in options to display
an existing scene in a selected HMD taking advantage of stereo immersion
and head tracking/body tracking.

>> Let's also assume the scene is designed for both desktop and HMD
experience. This is probably harder than it sounds but scenes designed for
WALK mode with a single viewpoint or careful transitions between
viewpoints, on a human scale, should be a good start.

>> The browser can figure out optimal rendering resolution, and use the HMD
provided projection and view matrixes for navigation relative to the bound
viewpoint.

>> All this does not seem to need scene specific information (?). This is
why we had previously discussed a browser configuration file or Engine node
above/next to the scene level.

>> Now, it turns out that currently the easiest way to add such
functionality to the x3dom browser is to preprocess the scene (via
'injection') to use additional nodes (the RenderedTexture node). When
getting out of HMD mode, these additional nodes can be removed again.

>> For other browsers (such as cobweb) it may be advantageous to preprocess
the scene in a different way, requiring other, specialized nodes
(Viewfrustum).

>> This is just one way to add functionality to a x3d browser and currently
the most available one. It is also modular as  nodes can be used for other
purposes.

>>> Perhaps an HMD node, rather than HMD mode?  That is, a separate node
that complements NavigationInfo?

>>> The VRML and X3D specifications have done an excellent job in being
device neutral (as well as quite supportive of most devices) when defining
user viewing and interaction already.   It will be good to keep building on
that device independence, which incidentally lets you create large shared
environments where users have multiple diverse devices interacting.

>>> WebVR might provide an excellent first pass for the parameters that
might be needed for HMDs.

>> WebVR inspired parameters supplied by/provided to a HMD node could be:
>>
>> isPresenting: SFBool, currently in use, scene may want to adapt to
immersion experience in some way

>> Stage: some HMDs have a certain, limited area in which a user can be
tracked and be expected to stay inside. This could be useful information
for a scene. Includes size, location.

>> Enabled: a scene may want to strictly disable display on a HMD
>>
>> DeviceID: a scene may want to know a name for the device to reflect
>>
>> Capabilities: resolution: a scene may want to adapt (hi res textures)
>>
>> resetPose: make current location/orientation the reference.
>>

>>> Presumably most of fields are metadata for devices to use, which is in
keeping with scenes that can be utilized by many devices.

>> Hmm, as evidenced above, I tend to think about the reverse, eg. fields
which can be utilized by scenes.  So I am probably missing something.

>>> So if we can agree on parameters then a simple MetadataSet node (or
prototype) for HMD might be sufficient to start performing some
experimentation in developmental versions of players.

>>> Wondering if such metadata is oriented towards several categories at
once:

>> (a) device specific,
>> all above
>>
>> (b) scene specific,
>>
>> I cannot think of anything, eg. imagine how a scene could modify the
behaviour of a HMD. At this point HMDs only have a single mode. In the
future, a HMD may switch between VR, AR, MR and a scene request an expected
mode ?

>> If we start to also consider controllers, this might be the place where
a scene configures usage of controller buttons and axes.

>> and (c) user specific (which can also be saved as preferences).
>>
>> lastPose: pose before exiting HMD mode
>> resumePose: return to last pose upon entering
>>
>> I am still unsure if I grasped the idea behind using a MetadataSet node
as a conduit between scene and HMD.

>> Andreas
>>
>> This might help re-use and portability.

generalization is convincing, there is a practical difference in how it
would be used. Rather than specifying an initial viewpoint from which user
navigation starts/is relative to, the matrices would be used directly for
navigation. Not sure what the implications of this difference are.

would take HMD output (the matrixes) and apply it to the current viewpoint.
If the viewpoint is a stereo viewpoint left and right matrixes would be
supplied. Additional navigation from controllers would still need to be
possible. What device 'HMD' refers to could be defined by a new
NavigationInfo field 'hmd' MFString = "''AUTO' 'VIVE' ... " in case of
multiple connected devices.

yves.piguet at gmail.com> <mailto:yves.piguet at gmail.com <mailto:
yves.piguet at gmail.com>>> wrote:

> [...]
OrthoViewpoint: a viewpoint where you specify an arbitrary projection
matrix is a generalization of both Viewpoint and OrthoViewpoint, so it
should logically be a sibling which also implements the X3DViewpointNode
abstract node. Now an extension for stereoscopic views, where you still
have a single viewer position which defines viewer-related sensor events,
LOD, Billboard etc. and a single node traversal for rendering with two
projection matrices, seems fine.

<mailto:andreasplesch at gmail.com> <mailto:andreasplesch at gmail.com <mailto:

holger.seelig at yahoo.de> <mailto:holger.seelig at yahoo.de <mailto:
holger.seelig at yahoo.de>>>
x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org>>

This

Viewfrustum:

https://doc.x3dom.org/author/Navigation/Viewfrustum.html>

adapt existing scenes. I think default values could be such that they
guarantee full backward compatibility.

NULL. If

ProjectionSensor or

roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com <mailto:roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com> <mailto:
com> <mailto:roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com <mailto:roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com>>>>

<mailto:x3d-public-bounces at web3d.org> <mailto:x3d-public-bounces at web3d.org
x3d-public-bounces at web3d.org>>>] *On Behalf Of *Andreas Plesch
<mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org> <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:
x3d-public at web3d.org>>
<mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org>>>>

create3000.de> <mailto:holger.seelig at create3000.de <mailto:holger.seelig@
create3000.de>>
http://titania.create3000.de>

>>> all the best, Don
>>> --
>>> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br
brutzman at nps.edu <mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>
>>> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
+1.831.656.2149 <tel:(831)%20656-2149>
edu/brutzman <http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman>

brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
+1.831.656.2149
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/
brutzman

--