[x3d-public] NIST conformance example behaviour

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jan 30 21:32:00 PST 2017

(on travel)

thank you Andreas, i like the logic because it looks like it landed right where we did after much discussion/consideration.

so getting the spec wording crisp and understandable remains (as usual) a worthy challenge.  :0

adding one thing: when a method call invokes a method in an OO language, the parameters are typically references and not a new object with global scope.  so that is why it seems that a Script node's fields (field parameters waiting to be referenced and invoked) do not rise to the level of independent objects instantiated in the parent program.  Rather they are SFNode field references that give the script a reference handle to tickle the original node via directOutput value modification.  nor are they traversed with the rest of the scene graph, since a Script's field containing an SFNode support your listed options (a) and (b) listed below. so they do not meet any of the criteria that lead to binding.  So the fields are not traversed.

hope this helps.  onward...