[x3d-public] Preliminary Announcement for XSeen: problems in motivation phrasing

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Sat Jul 8 19:45:47 PDT 2017

Don,

> Hi Leonard.  It was great to see that your project is progressing -
> congratulations. Implementing and evaluating possible improvements to
> X3D is always good.

Thank you. That is much appreciated.

> However your current motivation section has problems:

I always appreciate comments to help word things better, but in this
case there is no problem in motivation phrasing.

X3D in all public releases of the standard is not DOM integrated. There
are no public documents that explicitly show how a future generation of
X3D would be DOM integrated. That may happen in the future, but that has
been worked on without public results for over three years.

I have spent less than 3 calendar months part time putting XSeen
together with the very explicit purpose of being DOM integrated. It uses
DOM events, HTML scripts, and WebGL rendering that differ in detail from
what X3D does. I contend that neither X3DOM nor Cobweb are fully
integrated with DOM. Parts of their internal structure is exposed to and
interacts with DOM, but at least the event model is not X3D or not DOM.

I never claims that X3D was not declarative. In fact with few exceptions
(Shaders in particular), I think X3D is an excellent model as the design
of a declarative language. The language is quite rich and expressive. To
go beyond the basics in A-Frame requires a developer (someplace in the
chain) writing JavaScript code and integrating it with the A-Frame API.

Leonard Daly