[x3d-public] Preliminary Announcement for XSeen: problems inmotivation phrasing

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 11:45:25 PDT 2017

On Jul 9, 2017 12:35 PM, "Leonard Daly" <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:

I have loaded DOM into both Cobweb and X3DOM, without the need for many
complex extensions, just a DOM producer and JQuery or interfaces to the
browser ($(selector).append () line 405 of https://github.com/
coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/node/loaderJQuery.js  for
X3DOM, importDocument() line 205 of https://github.com/
coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/node/loaderJQuery.js  for
Cobweb).

You can't load DOM into anything. Things

Node objects, sorry.   Similarly JSON objects.   Yes JSON has a variety of
APIs, but is in fact not an API.  For me, DOM and scenegraph are similar
things, a model or metaphor for something visual.

The whole goal of this effort is to get W3C approval of a 3D language that
is as fully integrated into the browser as HTML rendering is now.

Haven't they said "no" or "not interested" enough times?   Aren't we all
waiting for 3D to blow away the web?  With Khronos leading the march?  We
still have a problem of not enough content creators.   We probably need to
get AI on board, seriously, but what expertise does the web3d consortium
have in AI or can develop?  Scanners will help, but we need more companies
to webify their content like maps have done.  I would think something like
externproto plus monetization of Protos (with bundles)--or web components
is critical to the success of X3D on the web.   Has anyone done a market
study of requirements for various proto types?  Or is that where all the
tags in x3d came from?

.

But, if you worked outside the web environment, why is this organization
called Web3D Consortium?

Web3d seems like a bastard son of Khronos and W3C that no one wants.   I
see plenty of "web3d consortium" products that have little to do with the
HTML.   I blame it on the graphics card manufacturers, but perhaps it's a
market thing.

John "still waiting for Skype to Kinect" carlson