[x3d-public] default interpolation keys

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon Jul 10 08:40:42 PDT 2017

Andreas,

This is a very reasonable suggestion. As you point out, there would be
no way to get an empty key field except when keyValue was also empty.

I haven't looked, but I suspect A-Frame uses TWEEN to do the
interpolations. TWEEN automatically provides evenly spaced keys when
given multiple keyValues. I was planning on working on an upgrade for
that sometime this fall. Please let me know if you are going to make
modifications to TWEEN.

Leonard Daly

> The default key field value is [ ], empty.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/interp.html#X3DInterpolatorNode
>

> recognizes the validity of an empty key field, which then means no
> events are generated and no interpolation happens.
>
> Is that behavior useful for any situation ? A serious question,
> perhaps for prototypes somehow ?
>
> I am developing an Aframe equivalent to interpolation nodes
> (https://github.com/andreasplesch/aframe-keyframes-component) and
> weigh other default key values.
>
> Specifically, I am leaning towards a default which provides constant
> intervals for keyValues. If there are 5 keyValues, the default keys
> would be [0,0.25,0,5,0.75,1]. This is what most commonly may be the
> expected behavior from an interpolator. Given n keyValues, default
> keys are [0/(n-1), 1/(n-1) .., (n-1)/(n-1)].
>
> The benefits of such a default are least surprise, and more concise
> scenes.
>
> The drawback is backwards incompatibility although I have not seen a
> scene which uses the default key field value.
>
> My goal is to raise a better informed specification comment as I feel
> there may be more to consider.
>
> Any comments are very welcome,
>
> Andreas

*Leonard Daly*