[x3d-public] Statement permitted placements

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 20:56:10 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:03:03 +0100
From: "Roy Walmsley" <roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: [x3d-public] Statement permitted placements

L.      ????, to add the "fourth child" to the children field of the Group
node, ROUTE

Here we have a difficulty. Set "setValue" service may be an SAINode value.
There is an SAI type of SAIRoute, described in 5.2.29.

Reference:
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/Part02/dataRef.ht
ml#SAIRoute

The text quite clearly states "A ROUTE is not a node in the scene graph .".
So we can't use setValue again.

The only service available to us is 6.4.17 dynamicRouteHandling. We pass the
executionContext (which in this example is the scene), ROUTE properties, and
"AddRoute" action. Where will it go? How do we specify we want it to be
added to the Group node as the next child?

My understanding from reading implementations is that the in
memory representation of routes is kept outside of the node tree, usually
as a map or similar data structure. So the SAI does not need to have a way
to specify the location of a Route statement to be added. A new route is
simply added to  the existing map or list of routes. In that sense it may
have been more accurate/explicit for the xml encoding to define a 'routes'
root node which contains route children.

Andreas