[x3d-public] setUSE in X3DJSAIL. Impact on X3DJSONLD.

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jul 20 14:02:03 PDT 2017

On 7/20/2017 1:50 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Could one layer DOM on top of X3DJSAIL like Andreas has done with Cobweb and what X3DOM does, so internally, DOM is checked for type safety and validated and all that good stuff?

Well X3DJSAIL applies Object Model for X3D (OM4X3D) to Java.  W3C Document Object Model (DOM) has been applied to JavaScript, Java and other programming languages.  Vive la difference.

> If we had a common way of doing things that would be good.  A common architecture.  Then our skills would be more portable between X3D browsers.

OM4X3D is getting us much farther down that road.  So does validation in all its many forms: XML, JSON, regexes, etc. etc.

Many of the X3D design patterns are sharable/adaptable.  Learning and "best practices" are always good.

There won't be One Declarative Imperative Programming Content Model That Rules Them All And In The Darkness Binds Them.  :0

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Ring

> What about SAX?  DOM trees get big, and if we had a SAX -> X3DJSAIL tree, that would be more efficient.

SAX is simply a sequential API for reading an XML tree.  Different style, different model.