[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] port this example to X3DOM?

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 2 12:02:03 PDT 2017

> Yes, the script that uses directOut is like a DOM script.

i guess that is the long way of talking about some detail, just that
whether or not the this includes the directOut reference? And, maybe
shouldn't have mentioned dom because after all, i may not be all up to
date with the dom.

I think the x3d script node as a special sensor node much like any
other node, designed so that all events are sent at the time of
completion of the script, all with the same time stamp the initiating
event thaat started our this. (And special script functions like
initialize, shutdown, etc. available but that is not discussed here.)

DirectOut gives a way around that basic x3d script node feature, which
is very confining for some introductory applications where you either
don't care about exact timing or are not provided with the concept of
the x3d timestamp and event cascade - where all events in the author's
intended cascade are executed as 'instantaneously' like all at the
same time and all in the same frame and then evaluation of the next
set of events used to create the next frame can begin to be processed.

So, again, am i reasonable in understanding the overall maybe minor
detail that the script is, well, can I say, not responsible for
emitting the _changed event for the field update caused by use of
directOut in the script? Nor can I use a script interface to directly
route an event into a field of a node used as directOut.

It is the field in the node that gets changed that must be source of
the _changed event. For all other script interfaces the def of the
script is the this and can use this.name in routes.

All except the stuff involved by use of directOut node in the this.
Please discuss with me here if any of x3d script, of the this, by the
this, and for the this is unclear.

Because those are also why there is the idea that x3d script directOut
is intended to generate the directOut updates 'outside' the current
cascade, like immediately when viable; use of timestamps can get
complicated but trackable. For instance, when the target field update
is produced immediately then the author can then detect the _changed
event maybe independently of current this script events.
Maybe other stuff, maybe details associated with end/beginupdate
features of the SAI?

So, i do need some help, but the way it is that, ok all is running
well but maybe a bit of drift or something, maybe like sort of
calibrating some mechanical device such as some sort of distribution
thing with the big end of the screwdriver. You know, the little
special turn that needs to be done only when specially needed to make
it sound best or just right; then I can give it a hit with a directOut
and I may be able to find out what was done to the target node maybe
without waiting for the script to complete? Well, why would I want a
script running with some sort of potential loop 'outside' the this
anyway? I forget if I ever really want to use my current this as a
directOut object ...

Thanks and Best,
Joe

.