[x3d-public] XSeen Update and Question

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon Jun 5 23:33:42 PDT 2017

I have updated the 'development' branch on GitHub of XSeen
(https://github.com/DrX3D/XSeen/tree/development). This branch supports
the 'model' node that brings in glTF geometry, textures, and animation.
It is also possible to start the animation. This is the full animation
that is stored in the glTF file, including skin deformation based on
joint animation. The test example shows that for the glTF "monster".

This version also adds preliminary support for the A-Frame Asset
manager. This is very similar to DEF/USE except that it is a finer grain
and the assets are pre-declared as opposed to defined in a node.

All of this is documented at http://tools.realism.com/specification/xseen

I need to tackle animations of various fields. A-Frame does it as
(illustrating with X3D nodes for clarity)

<Group>
   <Transform translation=...>
        :
        :
   </Transform
   <TimeSensor .../>
   <PositionInterpolator .../>
   <ROUTE ... />
   <ROUTE ... />
</Group>

Though A-Frame wraps up all of the X3D nodes needed for animation into a
single node.

Using that idea with a slight change, I would like to know what people
think of this version. If you don't like, please state why it is not good.

   <Transform translation=...>
     <Animate start='' end='' interpolatorType='' field='translation' ... />
        :
        :
   </Transform>

This version puts the Animate node as a child of the node whose has a
field being animated. Multiple Animate nodes could be children if there
are multiple fields to animate. Each node that has an animatable field
could potentially have an Animate node as a child. This eliminates
ROUTEs (at least for this purpose). It is really clear what is being
animated and its range and animation characteristic. There would be (as
yet undetermined) fields so that multiple Animate nodes could be
synchronized.

If you believe that this won't work, please describe a situation where
it would fail - the more detail you can provide, the better.

I am not stating that this will be my solution, but so far it seems to
be "best" (easy to use, coding clarity, extensibility, and a few less
descriptive concepts).

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant