[x3d-public] FAQ Pages and archiving past VRML/X3D work

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jun 16 04:33:44 PDT 2017

copy: x3d-public

On 6/13/2017 8:06 AM, Roy Walmsley wrote:
> Hi Don and Len,
>
> While writing the minutes for the last X3D WG meeting, in particular, my failure to find the page http://www.web3d.org/about/faq/ referenced on the main public wiki page (http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page), I googled for FAQs related to X3D and VRML. I came across the following two pages:
>
> http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/webgraphics/x3d/x3d_faq_files/
>
> http://www.arts.rpi.edu/~ruiz/vrml_stuff/Comp.lang.vrml.faq/faq1.html

Thanks Roy.  Yes they are important to archive.

Copies attached so that they are archived in our mail system, as a minimum.

The first was produced openly as part of Web3D Consortium efforts, but lost due to improper server maintenance and backups.

The second was produced openly by the inimitable Bob Crispen who accomplished much as a key contributor in the Web3D community.

> Do you think we:
>
>  1. Want to make use of these pages, either as is, or updated?
>  2. Could, or should, transfer (copy) them to the Web3D web site, assuming permission is granted?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roy

Clearly these and other important works should be archived somewhere.  Wondering if anyone is maintaining that.

Certainly seems like ensuring such archival support is part of the Web3D Consortium mission.  I hope that such an endeavor is undertaken.  There is an important role for one or more interested people who are able to pursue such efforts.