[x3d-public] MFString quotes

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:08:26 PDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Yves Piguet <yves.piguet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 15 Mar 2017, at 15:35, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Short summary:
> >
> > a. The abstract specification is unambiguous.
>
> Imo, XML applications like the XML encoding of X3D shouldn't restrict XML,
> or they shouldn't claim to be XML. So 19776-1 should be modified.

I had the same thought. The question is if the X3D XML encoding claims to
be XML, or just XML compatible. It does produce valid XML. I do think the
expectation generally would be that the X3D XML encoding is only concerned
about mapping to XML node and attribute names and values, not about
structural symbols.

> > b. Different file and language encodings have similar yet different
> rules about escaping quotes.
> > c. We have no control over external equivalences, since user agents
> decide independently (e.g. " and ")
>
> I agree.
>
> > d. Round-tripping is difficult/tedious but possible in every case.
> Repeatable code blocks can help.
>
> Usually possible for a given implementation. If you think round-tripping
> is useful, one should refer to a canonical XML representation. See
> https://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n

Yes, I looked into c14n. I think it does require outer double quotes and
inner entities (when necessary):
https://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n#Example-Chars

> Same for JSON. Same for Classic (standardized pretty-printed?)
>
> > I think one relaxation might be possible where an unquoted MFString
> value might be treated as a single SFString value in the array.
>
> I'd rather not. The more permissive, the more difficult it will be to fix
> design oversights later if there are. XML isn't nice to write by hand
> anyway, one shouldn't try to accept sloppy code.
>
> For instance, in XML all attribute values must be quoted, unlike HTML.
> Being lenient here would go against this design choice.

I agree with Yves.

Andreas
--
Andreas Plesch