[x3d-public] MFString quotes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Mar 16 03:05:52 PDT 2017

On 3/15/2017 8:21 AM, Yves Piguet wrote:
>> On 15 Mar 2017, at 15:59, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andreas & Yves,
>>
>> I understand what you are trying to do -- '"string1" "string2"' (in any form including HTML entities) is messy and a bit unwieldy.
>
> No, sorry if I wasn't clear. If XML looks messy, so be it. Any standard XML encoding for multiple-value MFString with or without spaces, single-quotes or double-quotes is fine for me. I'd just like 19776-1 to not restrict the XML syntax.
>
> In XML, you can use either double-quotes or single-quotes around attribute values. If you choose double-quotes, then double-quotes in the attribute value must be encoded as entities (named or numerical); if you choose single-quotes, then single-quotes in the attribute value must be encoded as entities. You can also encode any other character in the attribute value with an entity. An XML parser must decode all entities in attribute values. 19776-1 should conform with that, neither being more restrictive nor less.
>
> Yves

Totally agreed.

Further, like it or not, once the scene leaves their keyboard, an author has no option to enforce one form or another since XML Recommendation allows user-agent tools to utilize whichever form they prefer for representing attribute delimiters and corresponding contained character entities.