[x3d-public] X3D V4 Draft Requirements Proposal -- Only Scripting

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Mar 28 10:36:42 PDT 2017

Only have time right now to respond to the first thing that caught my
attention...

> It's not clear that much much recent dialog is penetrating several
> portions of your list.  For example, SVG also has a script node that
> seems to operate just fine in combination with HTML.  It seems prudent
> to pose interoperability as the baseline goal requirement, with the
> corresponding due diligence to compare pros/cons and implement
> alternatives.  Listing things like "nodes shall not have name
> conflicts" and "shall behave as the HTML element" as end states seems
> to close off such necessary consideration of alternative approaches
> that already exist and can work.

It has been repeated pointed out that SVG has a script node. It is
called script. SVG is also part of HTML5 and fully integrated into the
DOM. Also SVG's script is a real JavaScript node that is accessible from
outside of the SVG tag set. In order to get X3D there, X3D would need to
be recognized as part of HTML and this would need to be regular
JavaScript element. Based on everything I did in a quick read (several
pages from a Google search of 'SVG Script') this morning, you can script
SVG from inside or outside of the SVG tag.

So until X3D becomes fully integrated in HTML and can be solely scripted
through DOM and does not need a JavaScript library to parse and execute
it, there is no point in talking about an X3D Script node.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant