[x3d-public] our beautiful planet

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:11:20 PDT 2017

Hi Mike,

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Mike McCann <mccann at mbari.org> wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> And I enjoyed examining the HTML and JavaScript code behind this nice
> demonstration. Thanks for sharing!
>
> (When I discovered how much I could expand the time range with the ‘-‘
> button I half-expected to see the continents drift around. :-)

:) That is a great idea. I have not seen this idea of zooming in and out of
a date range on a time slider much. It developed as a solution to the
question how to be able to track the sun over a day but also over the
seasons. The sun locations (above the horizon) should accurately correspond
to the picked time, at least on a smaller DEM.

I found myself lighting the ocean-free earth on my phone for an extended
period of time although I thought I know its shape pretty well ..

BTW, 'x' toggles the headlight.

Andreas

-Mike

> --
> Mike McCann
> Software Engineer
> Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
> 7700 Sandholdt Road
> Moss Landing, CA 95039-9644
> Voice: 831.775.1769 <(831)%20775-1769>  Fax: 831.775.1736
> <(831)%20775-1736> http://www.mbari.org
>
> On May 2, 2017, at 5:38 PM, Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I am enjoying looking at our beautiful planet from a different perspective
> and wanted to share this:
>
> https://rawgit.com/andreasplesch/QGIS-X3D-Processing/master/examples/
> output/topo30_600x300dir.html
>
> Works great on mobile, too, after waiting a bit for it to finish loading.
>
> This example shows also a variety of ways to couple HTML, SVG, DOM events
> and X3D.
>
> -Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Plesch