[x3d-public] Agenda for X3D WG Open Meeting Wednesday 10th May 2017

Richard F. Puk puk at igraphics.com
Fri May 12 09:13:40 PDT 2017

Hi, Yves --

What I meant by "originally intended" was that it is consistent with other
data types. For example, an MFFloat expressed as [] represents an array with
no elements. Similarly, an MFString expressed as [] represents an array with
no elements (i.e., no strings). However, an MFString expressed as [""]
represents an array with on element consisting of an empty string. Since the
implementation of an MFString is often done by providing an array of
pointers to the strings in the array, an empty string would have a pointer
but no content. I believe that this is what is expressed in both VRML and
X3D. Since I participated in all of the discussions back when VRML and X3D
were each being designed, I know that consistency of field type was an
important factor.

  -- Dick