[x3d-public] Newlines inside a string in VRML and X3D

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat May 20 14:44:19 PDT 2017

> Usually, the way you get a new line in VRML and X3D is by a new SSF in the
> string node.
> For example
>
> <text string='"one line" "next line"' />
>
> there is always a 'newline' between each quoted string.

Indeed, but this is specific to the "Text" node "string" field: it
lists multiple strings, and each string is rendered on a separate
line. So says the Text node specification.

My note describes what to do when you want a newline character within
a single string. For example, if you place a Script or shader code
within a string, using the data URI, like on
https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models/blob/master/shaders/shaders_inlined.x3dv
.

You then need to place a newline *inside* a string.

Regards,
Michalis