[x3d-public] TwoSidedTexture node

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 05:39:54 PDT 2017

Hi Don,

there should be quite a few applications where it is possible to
reduce a volumetric object (a thinner wall, a sheet of paper) to a
surface.

BackAppearance seems easier to design from a spec. perspective but
much harder to implement. One question is if just providing a non-null
BackAppearance node would be enough to signal special treatment of the
back (side of inverse normals) or if there needs to be an additional
field for shape, similar to 'solid'.

Another initial, minor question is how is TwoSidedMaterial expected to
interact with solid='true' surfaces ? Presumably by not using the
backMaterial but since solid='true' is the default another option is
that TwoSidedMaterial always implies solid='false'. After all, this is
surely what the author intended as she could have used a regular
Material otherwise. I could not find that resolved in the spec.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453